Friday, February 6, 2009

Day 7 - Let the Games Begin

So, I am new to blogging and I realized that if you are reading this blog for the first time it may not make sense what is going on.

What is this blog?
In short, I am trying to use the greater knowledge in the blogsphere as my own personal valentine's day counsler. Each day I have a theme of something that I want to do for Valentine's day, and on each day I ask the greater community for some ideas...

So far I have been totally floored at the response, and when this is done I will blog about how things have gone down now that that I am acutally implementing them.

WHAT? Yes that is right ! This poor guy has started implementing these and welll.... so far success... I will blog after I am done with the 14 about how things went, (And perhaps I will get her side of the story also.) but for now I am just trying to keep up with all the suggestions and the different themes.

Here is the list so far.
1. Some time off
2. Dark Chocolate Almonds
3. Her MP3 player full of girls music
4. Home Pampering (A clean bathroom + kids making bath salts + nails done)
5. Some gardening
6. Flowers (the old stand-by)

Day 7 - Let the games begin !
Whew ! Half way through it ! Time to relax. A few days ago my wife and I sat down with the kids and did something that we had not done in many months. Played a game ! It was noisy, messy, things were broken, someone lost and was sad, someone would not shut-up about winning, but it was fun. The only problem is that this was one of about 2 games we have and we have none that just the two of us can play. So day 7 will be to relax with a NEW game. For today I am just looking for reviews of games that she as a mom would like to play. One that is easy to start and not a mess to cleanup. (We already have enough of that.) Any game that you have played that you like, please tell me about it.

14DayGuy

7 comments:

  1. We love to play uno with the kids. That's always a hit. And PASS the Pigs. Every kid, down to about two years old can play, as long as you don't let them swallow the pigs and choke on them. With close supervision this one can be a major family hit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I haven't played it myself (yet) I've heard great things about Apples to Apples. Everyone I've talked to who's played it loves it, but I"m pretty sure it's a game better played with a decent sized group (at least 4, better with 6 or 7).

    Does she like Trivia games? Trival Pursuit is a classic. Are you looking for games to play with the kids? Monopoly Jr. is just a very simple & quick version of the original.

    By far my favorite game is a dice game called Greed. I think it's marketed as Farkel, but I learned to play it with just six dice and a list of point values (I could email the rules to you if you like as it's a bit complicated to leave in a comment).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is pass the pigs? I have never heard of this one?

    I am going to check out Greed. (Also never heard of it.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love Sequence (although it's better with 4 or more)...but I'm still a sucker for those that I played growing up - SkipBo, Uno, Rumikub, Cribbage. I love any game, and we have one called Think Blot where you have to find as many images on the card as you can, and then convince the other players that they're really there.

    Also - we've begun instituting a Bunco night in our cul-de-sac. We're blessed with neighbors that are also good friends, and we have 3 or 4 of the 5 couples come over and play.

    I also like SceneIt, but you really have to be into TV and movies for that one.

    Have you thought about doing something at a "Fun Center" as an option? You know, the ones with the batting cages, the go-carts, the putt-putt golf? Always a nice change to the board games.

    Blokus is fun too! We played that one over the holidays...

    Keep it up, you are totally rocking on this! I can't wait to hear the "how it all worked out" story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our newest favorites are the travel version of Sorry (very easy, no mess) and Trouble. I have a five year old and an eight year old and these games satisfy both of them. We also have Battleship, but our 5 year old still hasn't really gotten the concept of that one, yet.

    For a REALLY fun game, there's Hullabaloo. That is TOTALLY fun and it's a game that gets you up and acting silly. And our 5 year old will play it alone sometimes!

    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love Settlers, and kids can play too. Carcasson (sp?) is fun, and kid friendly with some guidance. Bonanza is a card game based on beans, and we loved playing it recently. These are all games that you won't easily get tired of doing, and it could be a fun time for teaching kids strategy and teamwork. We have played all of these with a 6 year old and 8 year old. They needed help, but did well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never seen Hullabaloo, or pass the Pigs, but after reading GREED sounds like the winner. Um I mean Farkel. Dear. I love you... now let's play GREED !

    Thanks for another great day. By the way, yesterday was garden day. She actually did most of the work in preping the garden but I did get my token work in. Friday's gift turned out better...

    14dayguy

    ReplyDelete